Thursday, August 12, 2010

Carnival #180 - Pickled Pepper Rings

Welcome to the carnival! The Make it from Scratch carnival is your chance to share your projects. I hope you join us by linking up at the bottom of this post.


The hot banana peppers are looking good in the garden this year. They are big, and they are hot. Just the way we like them. The easiest way to preserve hot peppers is by pickling them.

I love having pickled hot peppers on hand to add to Mexican dishes, put on a pizza, or give a sandwich some zip.

Preparing the Peppers
It is a good idea to wear rubber gloves when working with hot peppers. Wash peppers. Discard stems. Cut in 1/2 inch thick rings. You can remove the seeds if you wish, but I leave them.


Pickling juice (enough for about a dozen large banana peppers to yield about 5 pints of pickled peppers)
6 C white vinegar
2 C water
4 cloves of garlic, crushed

Combine ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and gently boil about five minutes. Strain to remove the garlic. Keep liquid hot.

Pack pepper rings into hot jars leaving at least 1/2 inch headspace. Cover with hot juice. Wipe rim and screw lid on to finger tip tight. Boiling water process (be sure water is covering the jars) for 10 minutes (don't start timing until water is back to a boil.) Wait five minutes. Remove jars to cool. Refrigerate any unsealed jars.

TIPS
If you only have a few peppers to pickle, you can skip the boiling water bath, and just store your pickled peppers in the refrigerator.

You can use many varieties of peppers with this recipe, or even mix your peppers.






LINK UP YOUR PROJECTS!

Carnival Guidelines:

Link up your recipes, crafts, garden projects, yarn creations, home improvement, or other d-i-y posts. Posts about making something, or helpful resources and tips for making things are what we are all about.


Please link directly to the post, not to home page of your blog. Kindly link back to the carnival with twitter, stumble and/or from your blog.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I love the site!

    Valerie

    www.thecutecouponer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect way to use up extra peppers! I have a large bag needing use as we speak. I think I'll try this out. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had pickled peppers before! I'll bet they are good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, if he didn't already, my husband would love me forever if I made these! Our peppers are coming on strong and it is a goal this summer to can/pickle some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wondering what to do with the abundance of peppers I have been given - yea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hot banana peppers on salads - never made my own though. I think I will get some peppers at the market next week and try this. I am sharing a recipe for a Ricotta Almond Dessert. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!