Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Stuffed Pattypan Squash



I've been getting a lot of pattypans from my farm share lately and have been trying to figure out a way to use them. You could stuff just about anything in these but here's what I did. Try this and see what you think.


















  • 6 pattypan squash, stem and blossom removed
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 cup sprouted mung beans
  • 3 sun dried tomatoes, diced
  • 1 Tablespoon capers, chopped
  • 1 cup diced mushrooms
  • 1 1/2 cups prepared bulgher wheat
  • salt and pepper to taste




  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Bring one inch of water to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until a fork can pierce the stem with little resistance. Drain, and slice off the top stem of the squash. Use a melon baller to carefully scoop out the centers of the squash. Reserve all of the bits of squash.
  3. Saute onion in olive oil. Add garlic, saute for 1 minute or until fragrant, add mung beans and sun dried tomatoes.  Saute for a few minutes, add mushrooms, saute until they give up their water, add capers and heat through.  Add bulgher wheat and heat through.
  4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stuff each squash to overflowing with the mixture, and place them in a baking dish. Cover the dish loosely with aluminum foil.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until squash are heated through.


This recipe is easy to scale up or down. If you're cooking for one, try one or two of these in the toaster oven.

Do you have a good use for pattypan squash? I'd love to know about it!

5 comments:

  1. Never even heard of pattypan, I will keep and eye out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wash and take the stem off. Slice like a tomato, coat it in olive oil, salt & pepper then throw it on the grill. Major yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that looks so yummy! I never know what to do with that kind of squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pattypan is new to me. I like what you did with it though. It sounds delicious and healthy to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amy - thanks! If I get anymore I'll give that a try. I like grilled zucchini.

    It was very delicious. Today I ate the leftover filling and that was pretty delicious too!

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!