Thursday, October 22, 2009

Using Leftover Buns

Whenever I buy buns for hamburgers or hotdogs there are always a few left. What to do with them? Often I will throw them in the freezer with the heels and other leftover bread, to use for bread crumbs later.

Other times, if we are having an Italian type meal. I will make garlic bread with leftover buns. The simplest way is to just spread butter on the buns and sprinkle with garlic powder or garlic salt. If I am feeling more creative, I will mix softened butter with garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and other Italian spices like oregano and basil. It is really yummy with a bit of mozzarella cheese too. Stick the buns under the broiler until they are nicely toasted. Be careful they go quickly from not at all toasted to burnt.


5 comments:

  1. Great idea Steph, I just don't ever have any left! There must be bread goblin lurking in my kitchen because every time I go to make hamburgers or hot dogs, we have no buns and are left eating them on loaf bread! ;(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "sell" the leftover buns to the kids as novelty sandwiches. "Hey kids, we're out of bread today, but guess what??? You get to have 'hot dog peanut butter and jelly sandwiches'!!!! Isn't that fun???" Without the hot dog, mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea! I often make them bread crumbs and that's it. Something new to do for those leftovers, less waste! Can't wait to serve it on the dining table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness - that sounds so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention that we also do this a lot with day old buns found marked down at the store.

    Sarah, that is too cute. I bet the kids think it is a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!