Monday, June 1, 2009

Homemade Toffee

This is the EASIEST & YUMMIEST candy I have ever made. It's so darn yummy I couldn't wait to eat! I wanted to decorate it with drizzled almond bark and crushed peppermint but it was gone before I got the chance. Maybe next time.


Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Hershey chocolate bar - optional

Directions
Line your pan with wax or parchment paper so the bottom and sides are covered. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and stir till dissolved. Allow mixture to cook, stirring occasionally till bubbly. There came a time when I thought it would not caramelize but it will-I promise! Once mixture has caramelized, stir well to ensure all ingredients are well incorporated. There was also a moment when I thought the butter and caramelized sugar wouldn't come together-just keep stirring! Pour into a pan line with wax paper and allow to cool. Heat Hershey bar till melted. Spread over cooled toffee and allow to set. Once candy is completely cooled and set, pull the toffee out by grabbing the excess wax paper. Lightly "drop" it onto the counter allowing the candy to break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. If it lasts that long!



Jenn's Tip: Don't worry about exact measurements. Toffee is a classic candy originally made by rural homemakers who needed a quick and tasty treat for the kids. It was a popular candy because it uses staple ingredients already in the pantry. This is a very tolerant recipe but equal parts of butter and sugar result in a smoother texture.

Find other recipes, crafts and homemaking tips at Frugal Front Porch.

11 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful. Wish you lived next door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, thta looks downright dangerous!! I'll have to make it when there's someone to eat it besides myself or, well, so much for swimsuit season. That said, I'm bookmarking this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I'm thinking toffee for lunch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps one could add flax seed (whole or ground) to make it a tad bit healthier... I'm going to try it.

    Wretha

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks soooooooooooooo good!! I might have to make that this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously? It's THAT easy? Um, I smell tonight's dessert! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. is this hersheys chocolate bar is like regular milk chocolates? i would love to be able to sub it since we dont have herseys around here..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, any plain solid milk chocolate bar can be substituted. You could also use milk chocolate chips if you don't have any chocolate candy bars. I just had the Hershey's candy bar on hand.

    Thanks for the great comments, keep them coming!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made toffee the other day when making my lollygobbleblissbombs - word of warning- don't test with your forefinger !! a week on, it still hurts!

    Your recipe looks sinful. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm.... Some neighbors brought us this for a Christmas gift and it's gone now. Gonna have to make my own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. after the chocolate hardens, I flip it over and spread melted chocolate on the other side too, and sprinkle it with nuts.

    My mom puts it in a 325 oven for about 2 minutes after putting the chocolate on, takes it out and spreads it.

    Today, I used MINT chocolate chips. yum

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!