Thursday, May 14, 2009

Building a Sunflower House

The other day a friend was telling me about an idea for a sunflower house she read in a magazine recently. The article suggested planting sunflowers in a good sized circle leaving a wide gap at one point. After they plants grow fairly tall you pull them together at the top, tepee style, to create a place for the kids to play. 


This reminded me of a project we tried a few years ago. We planted a sunflower house. Our sunflower house worked a bit differently.  We planted sunflowers that had been started indoors in a large square. In between each sunflower we planted pole beans.  Morning glories would also work. 

The way it was supposed to work was that the pole beans would grow up and between the sunflower stalks to create walls. The reality of our project was the deer ate all the plants well before they were forming walls. 

After talking to my friend, I realized that I have extra pole bean and sunflower seeds. I do not have a level spot available where the deer won't be an issue, but I do have a sloping space. It is sounding like a fun project to try with the kids again. 

Have any of you tried growing a sunflower house? How did it turn out? For more information about growing one of these check out the following pages:



Image credit: Homemade Art

4 comments:

  1. I haven't grown a sunflower house but we did grow sunflowers right beside our back door before. The flowers were beautiful but they attract bees like crazy (they were constantly flying in the house when we opened the back door).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to do this very project this weekend! Thanks for the reminder. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea. I don't have anywhere this year to plant something like this, but it's something to remember for when I do have room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on this now! I just hope it turns out well. Thanks for the coolest idea!

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!