Saturday, April 11, 2009

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

I know that I usually post a craft tutorial on Saturdays, but my sewing machine is giving me fits this week. I had a post all planned to teach you how to make nice cleaning rags out of old t-shirts and everything I did to that machine only made it worse. It sat there mocking me asking, "What are you going to do about this? Huh?".

My answer is, "Post a recipe!". Ha ha!!! Take that, sewing machine!!!



HOMEMADE CHICKEN POT PIE
Pie dough (enough for two 2-crust pies)
1 bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (Mine had peas, carrots, Lima beans, green beans and corn)
2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1 to 1.5 Lbs. Cooked Chicken
Salt and Pepper to taste
5 Mini pie tins


-Heat oven to 375 degrees.


-Divide pie dough into 10 even-sized balls. Roll one ball out and press into one mini pie tin. Repeat with four more dough balls until all the pie tins are lined with dough.


-Cube cooked chicken (leftover chicken works well for this) and place into large mixing bowl.


-Combine the frozen veggies, cream of chicken soup and salt and pepper with the chicken until well mixed. (At this point, you could heat this mixture on the stove top to save on the baking time a little, but that is up to you. Just be sure to watch the pies in the oven closely so they don't burn.) Pour or spoon chicken mixture into mini pie tins.


-Roll out remaining dough balls, one at a time, and place each over the top of the filled pie tins.


-Press a fork into the edges of the dough to seal them. With a sharp knife, cut steam vents into the top of the pie dough near the center.


-Place pies onto a large baking sheet with sides (to catch any filling that might leak out during cooking) and place in oven.

-Bake about 30 to 40 minutes until tops are golden brown and filling has reached an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.

-Remove from oven and allow to cool about 10 minutes before serving.


Heather is a wife, mom,
school cafeteria worker,
councilwoman and babysitter from Ohio.
She also blogs at Heather LessiterIts All for the Best
and The Fat Bottomed Girl.

3 comments:

  1. That chicken pie looks delicious. Hope your sewing machine is "well again" soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a food kind of week here at MIFS! Looks delish! Sorry about your sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I do NOT cook but you made this seem so easy that even I could do it!!

    And thanks for the comment on my blog. The comment about Christian Slater had me laughing until I cried!!

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!