Friday, February 13, 2009

Sweet Treats for your Sweet Pea!


One of the nice things about having a three year old is that you can pull just about anything out of the freezer and say it's ice cream. I wonder when he'll wise up to that? Today while he was at school, I made these yummy little "ice cream" treats. They were so easy that a blow-by-blow is really not necessary, but the whole project made me happy, so I thought I'd share.


First, meet Oskar. He's been in our family since the 1970's. You know, back before planned obsolescence when they made things to last a lifetime? My mom made my baby food in it and I used it to make my son's as well. When the day comes that I have to chuck this baby into the landfill, I won't feel all that bad about it, because Oskar has lived a long and helpful life.




These I found for $0.49 each at Goodwill. I want to make crayons as party favors for my son's birthday this summer. I thought I'd have to search the thrift stores for ages something like this, but I was pleasantly surprised to find them dirt cheap on my first trip. The two in the front are from Ikea and feel like those silpat (?) cooking mats. The one in the back seems to be an ice cube tray. I was looking at the metal versions on ebay (since I'm avoiding plastic) but they cost a lot more than $0.49. And since there is no new manufacturing impact here, I was very pleased to rescue them!




And these are the contents of my fridge. Please don't ask me where I buy fruit locally in the middle of winter in Colorado. Because I don't. But let's not talk about that. It's on my "things to work on list" for 2009.




So everything gets dumped into Oskar and chopped up. I was planning to add yogurt, but ran out of it, so I added a bit of milk instead.





Spoon it into the ice cube trays and freeze.




Isn't that better than the store-bought stuff? No high fructose corn syrup, no additives, dyes, or other things you can't pronounce. A little creativity and an old friend go a long way!



~* Kellie blogs regularly at Greenhab: The Browns go Green *~

2 comments:

  1. The molds are a great score! We make something similar, only I usually add a little fruit juice and honey to make it kind of slushie. Homemade freezer treats tastes much better than anything in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those trays are from IKEA, my ex-roommate had them. They are very cute, and it's a great idea! I'll be making some soon for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Header designed by Crystal. Thanks!